Let’s play a game. What do you think of when you hear the word “maple syrup”? Pancakes? Waffles? Oatmeal, bacon….Canada? Let’s think outside the box of the usual pairings maple syrup is conjoined with. How about cocktails? Or in an anti-aging beauty regimen? Surprisingly, syrup embodies other benefits besides just satisfying your sweet tooth.
A Sweetener That’s Sweeter to Your Body
Yes I know…. I was skeptical at first too. How could this gooey, sugary substance contain any nutritional value? Despite popular belief, maple syrup actually contains many essential nutrients, minerals, and vitamins. About 37% of the daily value of riboflavin that you need to aid in metabolic processing can be found in maple syrup. Maple syrup also contains magnesium, calcium, and potassium which help decrease your risk of hypertension or stroke. Unlike other syrups that are made from processed sugars and corn syrup, a pure, organic maple syrup is the real deal. By adding pure maple syrup into your morning breakfast you can get your fix of antioxidants that help boost your immune system, help with aging or stomach problems.
- 1 Whole Egg, separated
- 2 ounces of gin
- 1 ounce of buttermilk
- ½ maple syrup
- Fresh nutmeg
- Place egg yolk in cocktail shaker with a few ice cubes. Seal shaker and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Open shaker, fill with ice, and add gin, buttermilk, egg white, and maple syrup. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds and strain into chilled coupe or sour glass. Grate nutmeg over top and serve
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 4 ounces applejack
- 2 ounces maple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 16 ounces hard cider
- Fill cocktail shake with ice. Add bourbon, applejack, maple syrup, and bitters. Shake for 15 seconds, or until well chilled. Strain into ice-filled cocktail glasses, then top each glass with 4 ounces of cider.
Antioxidants are your friend. They act as natural anti-agers and with the use of maple syrup in your beauty routine you can slow father time from marching across your face.
Here is a maple syrup face-mask that fights fine lines:
- Stir together 1 tablespoon warm milk and 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- Add 3 tablespoons finely ground oats; stir again.
- Massage gently onto your face, leave on for up to 20 minutes, rinse off, and follow up with a moisturizer.
Anna Terry attended Texas A&M University where she received her Bachelors of Fine Arts in Communication. She is based out of Austin, TX and is a Marketing Assistant for Ecohabitude. Anna writes for Ecohabitude’s blog and hopes to inspire others to live a socially conscious lifestyle with easy, fun, stylish tips to incorporate into their everyday life.
Follow Anna on Instagram.5