With autumn on the horizon, it’s time for a little wardrobe change and accessories are a must! Whether you prefer large, simple totes or tiny, bright clutches, the new season is an opportunity to shake things up. How do you decide which bag is right for you?
- Prefer having everything with you at all times
- Don’t go home in between day and night
- Carry a jacket/scarf with you
- Prefer using the same bag for all occasions
You need: A CARRYALL
Carryalls are the big sisters of your typical tote bag. As their name suggests, they got everything you need inside. They can fit laptops, wallets, makeup bags, a change of clothes, an extra pair of shoes and even better – a smaller purse if you find necessary. Due to the versatility of the purse and how often you’ll end up using it – opt for black. Works any time, anywhere.
- Are a light packer, phone + money kind of gal
- Don’t want to be stuck carrying everyone’s stuff
- Want your things on you at all times, but don’t want to feel it weighing you down
- Frequent crowded places, parties, bars
You need: A (tiny) CROSS-BODY SATCHEL
The cross-body satchel is a low maintenance lifesaver, especially in crowds. People often assume clutches are the go-to when a small purse is in need, but they’re too easy to loose. The cross-body strap on these purses allows your hands – and arms – to be free most of the time. When amongst the masses, swing the purse around so the compartment is in front of you. They’re typically big enough to hold the essentials and jackets can be easily draped over via the strap.
- Think purses are the most important accessory
- Like matching your purse to other accessories
- Like when people ask “Where did you get that?!”
You need: THE STATEMENT
At least one statement bag is essential for every girl’s closet. They’re perfect for those nights when you’re dressed in all black and need an extra kick – or match it to your shoes or lipstick. Go for a smaller size, so the pattern or color doesn’t take over the whole look; all you need is that little pop of color to make a statement.
- Do a lot of activities throughout the day, walk a lot
- Dislike the one-sided weight of purses
- Prefer to dress casually
- Carry things you don’t necessarily need constant access to
You need: STYLISH BACKPACK
Backpacks are no longer limited to the basic, circular zipper design you’re used to. With a variety of designs in store, backpacks are no longer restricted to student use either. The atypical designs are just as functional and often more stylish!
Phoebe Gillan is from San Francisco and has lived in Manhattan for a year. She is studying Strategic Design & Management at Parsons School of Design, in her second year of their Bachelor of Business Administration program. When she’s not working on EcoHabitude’s blog or social media platforms, she loves to explore New York City rooftops, upcycle her clothes and learn new languages.
Follow Phoebe on tumblr.